Boat Insurance

It’s simple. When you have a claim, we’ll be there for you. Because we live here too.

When you insure your vehicle with us, we can provide coverage for your boat.

Please note that Personal Liability policies may exclude claims made against you arising from the ownership, use, or operation of watercraft, unless coverage has been purchased specifically. Some policies may automatically include coverage but may restrict coverage to operation of watercraft up to a determined size and horsepower.

Check with your broker or agent to make sure you have adequate protection.

shiny boat

About boating in Ontario?

Before heading out, you need to know the laws, regulations and local rules. These generally include: collision regulations, small vessel regulations, local rules concerning safe speeds, vessel separation/right of way, and key laws that apply to the operation of all vessels, regardless of size. In addition, there are criminal code laws concerning impaired or dangerous driving and other activities.

To navigate safely, you should know and understand many things. For example: Canadian buoyage system, the use of marine charts, compasses, navigation lights and signals, plotting courses, positioning methods, navigational references such as notices to mariners, sailing directions and the use of electronic navigational equipment.

What are the new boating safety regulations?

New boating safety regulations have been introduced by the federal government to help reduce the number of boating fatalities and accidents that occur each year. Highlights of the changes include the introduction of:

  • minimum age limits for operating power boats above 10 horsepower and personal water craft;
  • mandatory operator competency requirements, being phased in over 10 years, for operators of powered boats used for recreational purposes; and
  • new minimum safety equipment and operation standards affecting all boats.

The new boating safety regulations are administered by Transport Canada. For more information, visit the Office of Boating Safety website or call the Boating Safety Infoline at 1-800-267-6687.

The following is a summary of some of the requirements that you should know. Refer to the Safe Boating Guide published by Fisheries and Oceans Canada for detailed information.

Recreational Pleasure Craft Facts


Everyone who operates a power-driven boat in Canada needs proof of competency – something that shows they understand the rules of the road and how to safely operate a boat. The most common proof of competency is the Pleasure Craft Operator Card. You can get one by passing an accredited boating safety test.


All recreational vessels under 20 gross tons and powered by an engine(s) 10 horsepower (7.5 kw) or more must be licensed, regardless of where they operate in Canada. The license number must be displayed on both sides of the bow, above the waterline. Vessels of 20 gross tons or more must be registered and identified with a name.

Any pleasure craft powered by a motor of 10 hp (7.5 kW) or more must have a valid license? A pleasure craft license allows search and rescue personnel and other agencies to quickly identify your boat in the event of an emergency.

Transport Canada’s Office of Boating Safety has developed an easy to use Pleasure Craft License application kit. You can get them:

online at the Office of Boating Safety Website; at any Service Canada Centre; and through regional Office of Boating Safety Centres.

Boaters buying used pleasure crafts now have 90 days to transfer the license into their name. They may continue to operate their “new” boat during this period with the existing license on board.

Proof of competency indicates the boater has a basic level of boating safety knowledge required for safe recreational boating. In the past, anyone of any age could operate a recreational boat without any minimum boating safety knowledge, experience or training. These requirements were introduced in 1999 in response to boating deaths and injuries, with the goal of improving safety on Canadian waterways through education and training.

To learn more, visit the government of Canada’s marine safety pages


boat on a dock


A “Capacity” plate must be carried on all new pleasure boats up to 6 metres in length and capable of being fitted with engine(s) of 10 H.P. (7.5 kw) or more. A “Conformity” plate or decal must be displayed on all other motorized pleasure craft.

A “Single Vessel” plate is issued to homebuilt boats. If you buy, import, or build a boat, you are responsible for ensuring it has the appropriate compliance plates issued by the Canadian government.


Provisions for the careful operation, safe speed, right-of-way and maintaining constant look out are established by various acts, regulations and codes. These apply to every vessel in all navigable waters-from canoes to super tankers. As an operator and/or owner you are expected to know these rules. Contravention of any provision is an offense subject to penalties or fines.

On waters within Ontario boundaries, a shoreline speed restriction applies of 10 km/h within 30 metres from shore. Exceptions to this shoreline limit include water skiing, where the vessel follows a trajectory perpendicular to the shore; or-in rivers of less than 100 metres in width or, canals or buoyed channels, or-in waters where another speed is prescribed.

Personal Watercraft (PWC) are one of the fastest growing segments in recreational boating in North America. Skill and experience is required to operate these high performance vessels properly. The Canadian Coast Guard and most manufacturers strongly advise against the operation of Personal Watercraft (PWC) after dark.

How do I register my boat and where do I obtain application forms for licensing?

Please use the links below to view the federal government website for information on registering your boat and obtaining application forms:

Service Canada:

Please use the links below to view the federal government website for information on registering your boat and obtaining application forms:

Pleasure Craft Licensing

Or, you can call 1-800-O-Canada for more information.

Find Your Nearest Mutual